Monday, March 30, 2009

It's been a few days

Giving myself the insulin shots has not been difficult. Just another routine to add to a day that already always seems overfilled. However, so far it does not seem to be reducing my blood sugar level, even with continuing my oral medications.

We started at 10 units injected at night -- the physician's assistant did say she wants to increase that to 20 units but wanted me to call her to report my readings after the first week, testing twice a day.

So... I get to stick myself once in the morning to test my early morning blood sugar, before breakfast. Then a handful of pills for different things with breakfast. Then at night I take another dose of the oral meds with dinner. Two hours after dinner I take my blood sugar levels again. Then before bed I do the insulin shot.

Stick, Stick, Poke! Sounds like a medical version of Duck, Duck, Goose! And it's not quite as much fun.

It's time for me to go to bed. I have to say I have enjoyed my three-day weekend for the most part. It was all spoiled this afternoon, though, when my very good friend Ron called me. He has been the music director and organist at my former church in Oklahoma City for about 20 years. He is an excellent musician with a powerful gift.

Well, he was calling to let me know he had just been fired. He has become the latest victim of a minister who needs to be removed for the sake of the church. A couple of months ago this minister engineered the firing of the director of adult ministries, who has done an exceedingly excellent job for about 10 years.

What's at the root of the problem? The minister can't keep his pants on in the presence of the church secretary, and everybody knows it. They have been caught with their "hands in the cookie jar" so to speak, many times. Yes, both are married to other people. So in a failed attempt to cover up their own moral weaknesses, they are resorting to setting up other people on the staff in a series of dirty tricks, forcing them to resign or forcing them to be fired if they will not resign.

Witnessing this has been devastating on so many levels. For those of you who pray, please pray for this situation.

As in all such situations, there is far more to this horrible story than I can convey in a single blog post. But as you surely can imagine, it is a painful situation for everyone in the church and beyond.

Everyone have a great week! Spring is on the way again.

3 comments:

SBB said...

Hurray that you're handling the insulin so well! Boo that it's not helping your blood sugar yet! Boo to that minister and his secretary! Why hasn't the church done something? Hurray that spring's on its way!

Anonymous said...

Just stopped by to see if you made it a full month of no new posting. ;)

drlobojo said...

Bummer on the insulin. I'm still on my "black labeled" meds for type II.

If the insulin doesn't get it controlled soon, I would advise getting another doc to look at it.
(I'm practicing medicine without a license again)

Main thing is to keep on top of it.