OK, it's been a while since my last post. It's been too frustrating fighting my computer problems. It may be that my computer is simply too full. I don't know. Haven't had enough time to fool with finding out what the root problem is. Maybe after the first of the year.
Here are some random thoughts, in random order as they pop into my head.
1. It is COLD. Miserably so. I'm trying to be an energy conservator because I got slapped across the face with a $200 gas bill this month. That's ridiculous for one person. I've been keeping the thermostat at about 68-69 degrees until it is just unbearable, then I'll punch it up to 72 for a little while, to thaw out. I've got a programmed thermostat, so it drops back down every six hours or so. I'm sleeping with as many blankets, etc., as my bed will tolerate. During the day I dress in layers and try to follow Jimmy Carter's advice to "put on a sweater!"
2. I have been summoned to celebrate Christmas with family in Missouri. I tried to play the weather card to keep from having to make the drive to northwest Missouri, but I failed. My aunt keeps a vigil on the weather reports and forecasts. So it looks like I'll be driving north on Friday, returning on Monday. It has been ordained. No, my heart isn't really into it. But it's a sacrifice I will make out of love. I really don't need the family reminders...
3. Some people are so wonderful. I had written a story about a couple in their 90s. The husband's second career (maybe third) was as an artist. His daughter appreciated the story so much that she had a print made of his favorite painting and sent it to me. It is lovely and a very touching gesture. The story itself touched my heart; this was above and beyond.
4. I want cookies. I really do. Those nice thick sugar cookies with the icing are leading my cravings, but chocolate chunk would be nice too. I should refrain from baking or eating any sweets. My doctor already called me to yell at me for not checking in with him on my last lab results. I might as well forget about having any holiday treats.
5. Too many bills coming due. Property tax, etc. Good thing I'm not a big spender otherwise.
6. Too cold to do the laundry. This is the major drawback of having the washer and dryer in the garage. I have to wait until the temps are above freezing to do laundry. Fortunately it's not urgent at this point. It should be warm enough tomorrow. I can't risk having the water pump break.
7. I need to get the oil changed in my car and have the tires checked before I travel. Bah. Yet another reason I wanted to stay home.
8. Wanda Sykes for President! Or Oprah Winfrey. Even Whoopi Goldberg. I think a black woman could do a better job than the white men we've had for so long. Well, just as long as they haven't been politicians up til this point.
9. Angst is attacking me again. Can you tell? I've been having very vivid dreams, very telling dreams. And I've been remembering them, long-term. They've been so vivid that I've been awakening before the alarm goes off, already filled with adrenaline. This is not good.
10. Some of my friends have been talking about dating, and the importance of feeling a spark with someone. So I wrote a letter to Santa and asked him to bring me a stocking full of spark!
We also agreed that the lack of wit and sharp conversation pours a bucket of water over any chemistry. Guys who are lame thinkers don't stand a chance.
11. Dang! I need to get to the pharmacy for precription refills. This list is turning into my "to do" list, isn't it?
12. Big Bad VooDoo Daddy is on Leno right now. He had the Brian Setzer Orchestra on the other night. Ahhh, good music. At least fun music.
13. Hmmm. My toes are so cold they are numb. I think I'll go have a cup of cocoa, despite what the doctor would say. Maybe I'll get myself a new pair of walking shoes for Christmas. Whee. Well, everyone needs at least one package to open, right?
14. Christmas letters: I don't hate them as much as I used to. The ones I've received this year have been filled with genuine news instead of self-serving boasting. Oh, wait, there's one friend I still haven't heard from.... (me-ow.)
15. Gah! I want to get the carpets cleaned. It's been too long. I'll do them later.
16. Mrs. Dunwoody and I have been spending more time together. I think she's really my alter ego... If you don't know, she's the character in "Mrs. Dunwoody's Excellent Instruction for Homekeeping." It's not exactly a novel, but she is a fictional character from the 1800s who teaches how to do housework. The author collected advice from the ledgers of many women from that era. I have my great aunt Beulah's receipt book (which is what these were called.) Bobo, as everyone called her, included advice on hog killing, curing hams and making cold-processed lye soap, right along with recipes for chocolate cream pies and butterscotch pudding. And no, none of the recipes included "open a box and ...."
17. I really think I may have to join the modern world and get a cell phone. I've refused, on principle. But it's becoming more of an inconvenience. I really can't afford to have a cell phone, so it's a headache.
18. I need a job. Something to keep me from filling my head with such thoughts as these.
19. Where does depression hurt? It hurts all over.
20. That's it for tonight, dear friends. Come back soon. Maybe we'll talk about the hunger for babies and/or puppies.