Monday, September 17, 2007

Lame, lame am I

If I were a horse, they would shoot me.

Last week when I saw the doctor, she put me on a new blood pressure medicine which contains Lipitor -- a two-for-one shot.

I took it for several days and then Friday night I woke up about 3 a.m. (I guess that would really be Saturday morning) with a leg cramp in my left leg. I whined and cried until I could get out of bed and try to stretch it out. I woke up again hourse later just fine.

Or so I thought.

I went out and pushed the lawnmower around a little in the back yard after I got off work Saturday afternoon. On one lap, I was all the way at the back of the lot, by the alley, when I got a killer cramp in my right leg. I could not move. I could barely stand. I could barely keep my grip on the mower handles to hold myself upright.

I feared falling, throwing up, falling, having the dog across the alley bark at me, falling, being found dead on the ground.

It took at least 20 minutes before I could put my foot flat enough to do the Frankenstein walk back to the back door. The walk took about that long, too.

Here it is Monday afternoon and I still feel like someone hit me in the back of my leg with a baseball bat. You should see the size of my calf where the muscle refuses to relax! I've called my doctor's office and left a message on the nurse's line to report it and asked for a call back (at 8 this morning.)

And I've declined to take my doses for Sunday and Monday until I can get checked out. Leg pain is a serious side effect of Lipitor. I took the drug separately for several years without much trouble, but I think that's not the case this time.

Stay tuned to this station for updates of General Hospital!

2 comments:

Trixie said...

Nurse called back earlier this afternoon. Doctor says keep taking the medication and add calcium and Vitamin D, along with CO-Q10, and we'll see if that improves the situation. Good heavens, I'm going to need a special "medicine table" like my grandma to keep track of all the doggone pills now! Not what I wanted to hear.

drlobojo said...

Liptor sucks out your potassium. Potassium stops cramps. I'm there and doing this thin myself. take some potassium.