Several people have tagged me in their "25 things" both on Facebook and on their blogs, so here we go. I hope I can come up with 25 things!
1. I moved back to my hometown about a year and a half ago. I don't know why.
2. I am a reporter and cover city government and education.
3. I had a 15-year career at the state's largest newspaper, and freelanced for that paper for almost five years after I left.
4. I also worked for the State of Oklahoma for nearly 8 years.
5. I was held hostage near the end of the time I worked for the Department of Human Services.
6. I was exposed to the aftermath of a uranium hexafluoride release when I worked for the State Health Department and set off a Geiger counter after being assigned to take photos in an area around the plant in eastern Oklahoma. It was a mistake on the part of the guy running the device but it scared the pee out of me. Literally.
7. I was married briefly. There was nothing good or fun about it from the engagement to the wedding to the divorce. I got my divorce the day before my third anniversary but separated much sooner. Unlikely I'll ever do that again!
8. I am a musician. I have played the piano for nearly 45 years. Can you believe that! I also sing and play handbells, but I am on a break from those activities right now.
9. In 1984 I had a fellowship at United Features Syndicate in New York City for two months and lived in Manhattan.
10. In 1985 I participated in a symposium in Washington, D.C.
11. I went to graduate school but took a different job in another city during my last semester and did not finish my thesis. My area of study was new technologies and publication management.
12. I have done some travel writing which has included several trips. Most were excellent; most had some drawbacks.
13. In 1997 I went to Switzerland.
14. I am the "stump" of my family tree. Both of my parents and my brother have died. I have a few cousins scattered across the country; I routinely stay in touch with one cousin on my dad's side and a couple on my mom's side. Two of my mother's brothers are still living; I see one at least once a year or so. No husband; no children.
15. I like to sew.
16. I love to knit. The year before I moved here, I made more than a dozen prayer shawls.
17. I have been a DivorceCare counselor for several years.
18. I have been a GriefShare facilitator.
19. For several years I participated in "Christmas in April" which became "Rebuilding Together." I learned a great deal about home repairs from replacing siding and windows to building cabinets and doing minor electric and plumbing repairs and laying floors.
20. For 10 years I was the volunteer coordinator for the Red Andrews Christmas dinner in Oklahoma City. The dinner annually fed between 4,000 and 7,000 people.
21. Before I left Oklahoma City, I created a project at my church called the "Tie One On Chairity Auction" -- I had members of my church create aprons and decorate chairs which then were auctioned off to raise funds for Mustard Seed Development Corp. We raised several thousand dollars which was matched by a community grant from Wal-Mart.
22. I am a member of the United Methodist Church and serve on the board of directors of the Wesley Foundation at Oklahoma State University.
23. I attended the University of Oklahoma and was involved in the Wesley Foundation there.
24. I had a poodle named Fefe for 15 years. I loved her and I miss her.
25. I have to believe that my current situation is only temporary.
I don't have anyone to tag with this because everyone who would participate tagged me!