Sunday, October 16, 2005

Tagged to Meme (and Born to Be Wild)

Frenzied Feline tagged me for a meme, but it's one I just did a couple of weeks ago, so I'm going to change the challenge slightly so I don't repeat myself.

You'll get to pick your resource, within these limits: Either a hymnal, if you have one handy, or failing that, the book which is closest to your left foot at this moment. (AHA! Those just HAPPEN to be the same thing in my case! How fortuitous!!)
Open whatever text you've chosen to whatever page happens to open and share what you've found there (No, I have not yet looked, so I too will be surprised at my selection.)

OK, here's mine:

How Can I Keep From Singing?

My life flows on in endless song;
Above earth's lamentation.
I hear the real though far-off hymn
That hails a new creation.

(Refrain)
No storm can shake my in-most calm,
while to that rock I'm clinging.
Since Love is Lord of heaven and earth,
How can I keep from singing?

Through all the tumult and the strife,
I hear that music ringing;
It sounds and echoes in my soul;
How can I keep from singing?

(Repeat Refrain)

What though the tempest round me roar,
I hear the truth it liveth.
What though the darkness 'round me close
Songs in the night it giveth.

(Repeat Refrain)

When tyrants tremble, sick with fear,
And hear the death knells ringing;
When friends rejoice both far and near
How can I keep from singing?

(Repeat Refrain)

The peace of Christ makes fresh my heart,
A fountain ever springing.
All things are mine since I am his;
How can I keep from singing?

(Repeat Refrain)

(From Journeysongs, Second Edition, Oregon Catholic Press Publications, Portland, Ore.)

Tag! You're it!

1 comment:

Erudite Redneck said...

"The cattlemen would have liked longer leases and early in 1894 attempted to achieve this by working through Colonel J.D. Cobb of Georgia, who just happened to be a cousin of Secretary of the Interior Hoke Smith. Samuel B. Burnett and others signed contracts with Colonel Cobb to pay him one cent an acre if he could get their six-cent-an-acre contracts renegotiated for three-year terms. Apparently, the colonel could not produce, but for obvious reasons the cattlemen were prepared to go to some lengths to be spared the inconvenience of negotiating annual contracts."

-- From William Tt. Hagan, "United States-Comanche Relations: The Reservation Years" (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1976), 239.

:-)

--ER