I'd just gotten off the phone with E.R. when I turned around in my kitchen. The timer on the stove dinged to let me know my dinner -- a burger on the Foreman grill -- was ready for me. I pulled the plug, put the patty on my plate and grabbed paper towels to wipe down the grill while it was still hot. That's the best time to clean it, before it cools down and all the bits harden like concrete.
So I just finished my cleanup and was reaching to toss the paper towel in the trash when I caught the edge of the plastic grease tray and pulled it off the counter, right at belly height. Reflexes were good today and I managed to leap back. Unfortunately, the grease leaped also and fell squarely into the fabric of my favorite striped shirt. I had managed to keep flesh out of the way, I thought. And so, I did what I could, stripping off the shirt while mentally apologizing to any neighbors who might be gazing into my windows. Since I was in the kitchen, I was able to saturate the spill with dishwashing liquid and soak it in the sink. I hope I was able to avoid permanent damage; I'm really fond of that shirt!
After I got that part under control, I started surveying the collateral damage. Thick grease on the tile floor. Splatters on the baseboard and kitchen drawers.
I did a preliminary cleanup with more paper towels, minding the clock. Ash Wednesday service starts at 6:30 p.m. and it was almost 5:30 now.
With every step, I spread thick grease across the whole kitchen. Fortunately I realized it before I stepped onto my white carpet throughout the rest of the house. Now I have a shirt soaking in the sink and nasty house slippers kicked off in the middle of the floor.
Finally, I looked down at the great white whale which is my belly and noticed a large patch of gooey grease. No red skin or blistering, thank the good Lord! Easily cleaned up and oh my skin is SO soft now. *rolly eyes*.
I'll give the floor a good hard soapy scrub after I get home from church this evening. And this reminder of my klutzy nature will also prompt me to be more careful around the Foreman grill. Let this be a horrible example for the rest of you!
I'm so glad I had spent my evenings last week cleaning off my kitchen cabinets aand countertops. It could have been so much worse in the clutter. (And here's where I thank Flylady!)
Y'all be careful out there. I'm on my way to the Imposition of Ashes to mark the beginning of Lent. I wonder if I could give up clumsiness this season?