Monday, June 06, 2005

The Harvest Is Under Way

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The wheat harvest has moved to the Cashion area, north of Oklahoma City. I saw a couple of different fields being cut this afternoon. Such a beautiful thing to see. One grower said they will be burning his field as soon as they get the combines out in order to get rid of the rye grass that's such an awful weed to them this year.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

John Deere green is such a beautiful color, don't you think? And the kids that do the dirty work are so, so young. I bet the kid driving this combine can't be over 15. And the one driving the tractor with the hopper on the back is probably round about 12.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com





Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The rivers are down enough to form sand bars, just perfect for wading out to for a picnic and bonfire. Brings back good memories from my childhood -- roasting hot dogs on a stick and drinking lemonade out of a thermal jug.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I liked this -- the landowner tied beer cans to the electric fence to help make it more visible to the sand crew quarrying the river. They sparkled like jewels in the afternoon sunshine.

13 comments:

Erudite Redneck said...

That's dang near a pome! Here, let me mess with it.

Landowner tied beer cans

to the electric fence

to make it visible

to the sand crew quarrying the river.

They sparkled like jewels in afternoon.

Sunshine!

:-)

I have NEVER seen a combine on the wheat fields within 2 miles of my house. They always slip in and out. On my trip to Tejas over the weekend, I saw three outside Kadane Corner, Texas, and two on two separate occasions near Walters, Okla.!

Trixie said...

Excellent!

I was so thrilled to get some harvest photos finally. I've tried for the past four years and always seem to get to the fields as the smoke rises from the burn-off. Now I have proof, once and for all, that those huge machines actually DO come through and do work!

Thanks for coming by and commenting. It was getting a little lonely in here, even though I know people pass through here silently at times.

Trixie said...

Thanks Frenzied! I appreciate it! ER has become rather rare in his comments over here so I was gigging him a little bit.

Anonymous said...

Great pics!

SBB said...

I was going to leave a comment about how great the photos are and how much I admire your skill at photography and with words, but then I realized that you only cared if ER commented, which makes me sad as I really thought we had that hot Internet passion between us and now I see it was only a passing fancy for you and now you will toss me aside and then I will end up someplace terrible, like the gutter or in Congress. Sigh. :)

Trixie said...

Oh Tech! Don't go breaking my heart, darlin'! You know you are the only commenter I really care about. I just have to acknowledge these other people now and then... for ratings. Yeah, that's the ticket! (Besides, I had to do something to keep E.R. from focusing on his 30,000,000 hits.)

Trixie said...

And thanks to you too, J.T.!

Let's all share in the harvest love. That's what makes the state go 'round!

Trixie said...

But Frenzied, my pal! Next to JT, I've "known" you longer than any of these boys. I thought you knew how strong my sisterly love for you is! I can't possibly talk to these guys about the wonders of Flylady or picking out kitchen tiles!

SBB said...

Trixie and I are secure in our relationship, Frenzied. I don't mind that she holds much affection for you ... as long as she holds more for me! :)

Trixie said...

I love you all equally more than all the others. Yes I do. :)

Erudite Redneck said...

Y'all are hoots!

Mark said...

When i read what you posted here re: The rivers are down enough to form sand bars, just perfect for wading out to for a picnic and bonfire. Brings back good memories from my childhood -- roasting hot dogs on a stick and drinking lemonade out of a thermal jug.
Makes me homesick for the good ol' days just outside Wichita, Kansas where i spent my formative years. i wish i'd never left now. Maryland sucks

Trixie said...

I'm sorry I made you homesick! I grew up in Ponca City (as I've said often here) so we had the Arkansas River (and the South Fork of the Arkansas) within a few minutes of our home. The Sunday evening river parties were a big part of my growing up years.