Monday, August 15, 2005

Did I miss "National Get OLD Day?"

I haven't posted in a few days, mostly because I've been a bit busy caretaking some friends and trying to keep things going to make a few dollars here and there.

Somehow I must have missed the announcement of the new national holiday -- we'll call it "Geezer Day" for Hallmark's benefit. They'll have cards hot off the presses before you know it. Seems like suddenly everyone I know is cratering!

Poor ol' E.R. is suffering from an assortment of maladies including Empty Nest, Rot-Toe Spider Bite, and General Old Man Syndrome, I believe. (I haven't seen the exact medical diagnoses but I think this is what he's got.) Bring him some Jell-O to hide his Geritol in and he should be better soon.

Friend Ken finally seems to be improving with his cellulitis, although it will be a while before he is back to his old, old self. He has improved since he's been home with his weiner dog snoozing on his lap on the couch.

I've been most concerned about a friend who truly is old -- he's in his 80s. Jim and his wife have been married for 62 years and I love them both to pieces. I think it was Sept. 11, 1974, when Jim had an industrial accident and was crushed at work. It was a miracle he survived at that time and that he's managed to live as long as he has. And he's not ready to give up now, even though he was in the hospital last week. They've bumped up his oxygen setting to help him breathe better. He's home now so I expect I'll see him at church next Sunday. Now his wife has walking pneumonia!

I do believe I'll go take a nap now. I hear it keeps you young.

No comments: