Friday, September 09, 2005

A first step

WASHINGTON - Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Michael Brown is being relieved of his command of the Bush administration's Hurricane Katrina onsite relief efforts, Homeland Security Director Michael Chertoff announced Friday.

He will be replaced by Coast Guard Vice Adm. Thad W. Allen, who was overseeing New Orleans relief and rescue efforts, Chertoff said.

Earlier, Brown confirmed the switch. Asked if he was being made a scapegoat for a federal relief effort that has drawn widespread and sharp criticism, Brown told The Associated Press after a long pause: "By the press, yes. By the president, No."

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Trixie, I found your blog from ER's link and have been lurking here for awhile. I enjoy reading what you have to say.

I agree, Brown had to go. I think the really decent thing for him to do would have been to save the president further embarassment and the nation further delays and just handed in his resignation, but this is a good step.

RebelAngel

Erudite Redneck said...

Of course, nobody has said anything about the mayor or governor padding their resumes, so, no, Pastor Timothy.

Trixie, I know I barked at you yesterday over at my place, and I apologize.

Trixie said...

There is a process for removing elected officials, which the governor and mayor and president all are. It's called impeachment. And it may be worth examining that.
Brown was not elected. He served at the president's pleasure. I'm just glad to see the president's displeasure expressed in this case.

Trixie said...

Thanks E.R. I've been spending the afternoon on my patio, grilling up various forms of red meat (and white). I read something about that somewhere...

On the grill today: 2 pork tenderloins; steaks; burgers; ribs and 14 chicken breasts. I have a friend with whom I alternate grill duties. We split the bounty and both eat mighty well with minimal effort for a couple of weeks.