Thursday, November 03, 2005

Mountains, woods and waterfalls

We went to church Sunday morning and then set out on another adventure. This time we went off to see the Columbia River Gorge with its woods, waterfalls and vistas.

First stop is the Vista House at Crown Point State Park. Apparently it closed for the winter right after we were there.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The Columbia River Highway was completed in 1916. That same year, construction started on the Vista House to encourage travelers to use the highway to enjoy the scenery. It also served as a comfort stop for travelers.

Some of the scenery from atop Crown Point, overlooking the Columbia River.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com



































Moving on to the east we come into the area of the waterfalls. This is one of the first of many -- Latourelle Falls. You walk down a path to the falls. This was our first glimpse:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com




































I thought that was pretty neat all by itself. And then I started admiring a hemlock tree. Suddenly I took one more step and past the tree I saw this:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com




































J.T. at the cataract of the falls:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Me on a bridge crossing the stream flowing out of the cataract:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Ah, but down the road a little further is THE waterfalls you must see in this area: The Multnomah Falls. The double waterfall falls 620 feet.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com




































After seeing Multnomah Falls, we traveled east another short distance to have lunch at Skamania Lodge. Wonderful view of the mountains from the dining room, and we happened to be there on the anniversary of the day Lewis and Clark arrived in their trek. I got two pencils honoring Smokey Bear and saw a historic interpreter demonstrate some of the tools L&C would have had with them. He singed the hotel tablecloth demonstrating how to start a fire with a flint. Hee hee.

7 comments:

Mark said...

Great. I just came in from taking pictures of Autumn foilage and you blow away anything I have taken so far with those breathtaking images.

Seriously tho, one word. Awesome.

Trixie said...

Thanks, Mark. I have to say, when you have this subject matter, it's easy to get the good photos.
I'd still like to see your autumn foliage photos!

CrystalDiggory said...

Your pictures make me extremely restless. I've got to get to that part of the country and see those things! Great job.

Michelle said...

At that very place you visited, I saw the most gorgeous sunsets over the Columbia River Gorge. It is nice to see that they have finished renovation on Vista House. Last time I was there, it was still covered with scaffolding. That old Columbia River Hwy you were traveling on has a host of waterfalls. You can spend an entire day exploring each one. The drive alone is just awesome with all the lush vegitation.

I am sorry to go on so much. It is so exciting to see someone enjoying what I, personally, find so incredible about this State.

Trixie said...

Michelle, there's still some work going on inside Vista House, but it sure is a grand place. I love the highway with the little arches in the railings along the edges of the road. The curves, the trees -- it's all glorious. I think I just read something about there being 70 or more waterfalls in the gorge, on both the Oregon and Washington sides. Multnomah Falls, of course, is the most spectacular. It's my dream to be able to take the walk all the way to the top (without dying) instead of being content with making it to the bridge!

Michelle said...

Multanomah is beautiful. The hike isn't so bad, but I have not made it to the top yet, just the second bridge. :P

SBB said...

The pictures are fantastic, Trixie. Absolutely!