Saturday, January 20, 2007

A little cleaning, a little cooking

So it's been about 10 days since the ice storm first hit. I've been out of my driveway two times -- both times to go to the grocery store a few blocks away to stock up for the duration.

We were supposed to get a ton of snow starting last night, but there was a large warm-air layer below the snow. By the time the precipitation got to the lower levels, it had melted into rain or a tiny bit of sleet. The temps today have been warm enough to do a lot of melting. Yay! However, if it freezes tonight, what we'll have is another thick layer of smooth ice! One step forward? Two slides back?

I'm still stocked with enough groceries to last a couple of weeks, which is not a bad thing. I've enjoyed cooking big pots of things and using up the leftovers on other days.

You know, despite being at home for a week and a half, I didn't get nearly the number of domestic things done that I had expected. I had planned to go spend some time at a girlfriend's house out in the country the night before it all started, but I (wisely) decided to stay home. I'd say that was a good choice -- she just got out yesterday for the first time, and today she and her fiance spent the day sledding on their property with their dog.

She and I talked the first day of the storm about all the things we were going to get done: Lots of cleaning, reorganizing ... all that stuff. Yeah. We talked again today and neither of us got any of that done. I've gotten caught up on much of the laundry that's been bugging me, but ho hum.

This afternoon and evening I've decided to bite the bullet and so I've attacked my office with gusto. It's a big job. Things have been piled up too long.

My work area is poorly laid out, with my computers in a beautiful big armoire that I love, but hate to work from. It's got lots of vertical space, and I need horizontal space. I'm short, and I spread my work out to the sides.

I'd love to move this piece to another area and build a table that spans the entire wall, with long shelves on the wall above the table. It's so very annoying to need the phone or printer, which are on a table to the side of the armoire. Sounds handy, but the dang armoire doors block my access to the machines on the table. Instead of being able to roll my chair a couple of inches, I have to get up, step around the armoire, close the door and then stretch to reach what I need.

I'm hoping that this clearing project will eventually make it possible to remedy the design flaws in this space so I can work more easily. I'll definitely need help from some muscle-y people when the time comes to move furniture around. The armoire is actually two pieces that are stacked. I may be able to use it in the living room... I'll give it some thought.

Anyway, you can see how my brain is working... it's taking its own scenic route like we SHEs tend to do (Sidetracked Home Executives, for those who don't know the lingo...)

Back to the project.

Time to get another trash bag to finish clearing out the junk, then I'll get down to "cleaning," a whole separate task from "clearing." I might get the clearing part done tonight. I wish I could say I'd get the cleaning done too, but that will probably be tomorrow.

Aren't you glad you came back to check up on me? I'm trying to be good because I want to get this out of the way and start working on some creative projects. I'm trying to be good. Honest I am.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know just how you feel. I don't get sunned-in, but I do plan to stay home several days and "get things done," um, not.

You definitely need another arrangement for your computer! Even a long folding table would be an improvement from the sound of it. Besides, if you love that armoire so much, put it out where you can enjoy it. I'd like to say a better arrangement might help you keep organized, but it hasn't worked for me yet. ;)

Trixie said...

I think a better arrangement would definitely help! I've already been thinking about this more. If I move the armoire into the living room, I could actually use it to stash my sewing machine and supplies, and give me a "sewing center" where I can stash everything. It has a pull-down table on one of the doors which I could easily use for sewing. Hmmm. I am liking the idea more and more.

I just checked my church newsletter, too, and the youth will be hiring out to raise money for their mission trip to New Orleans. There are a couple of good-size, strong boys who would probably be willing to help move this stuff around (if I can come up with the right donation...) This could actually HAPPEN!!

Anonymous said...

Except for a brief intermission on Sunday morning, January 14, I was without power from Saturday, January 13 through today, January 21, at 9:21 a.m. I know the time because I was working on my laptop. I didn't lose water or telephone service. The blessings included having a propane hot water tank that allowed for hot showers and washing dishes, a warm sleeping blanket, an oil lamp and a ton of candles. The continuous number of hours without power was 187 -- yes I counted them, but aI also enjoyed being able to actually see the stars, to have more time for meditation, and visiting folks who did have power. So many people in my area had it far worse -- severe damage to homes, no water, and I had all of that. One family had a newly born infant to take care of! At least they had a wood-burning stove.

JT

Genevieve Netz said...

Gosh. Trixie, I'm glad to see that you are still writing in your blog. I had filed you away under "Bookmarks" and just happened to visit.

The quick easy way to make a long "desk" is to buy a flat (no panels) hollow-core lauan door and set it on top of a couple of 2-drawer file cabinets, matching bookcases, or even sawhorses. You can attach a board to the wall at the same height as your two file cabinets and rest the back of the door on it, to give extra support. I think you can get a 2' wide door for $25 or less.

Just do a search for "hollow core door desk" and you'll find a bunch of links that will give you some ideas.

Glad you survived the storm!

Trixie said...

Thanks Genevieve! Good to see you again. I think the hollow core door desk is exactly what I'm needing. Good solution!