Friday, November 14, 2008

Bad news from the doctor today

The verdict at the doctor's office this morning was that I had a TIA (mini stroke) on Monday during the announcement about free city-wide wireless internet. The mayor was speaking when my whole right side went numb. I was writing notes furiously and suddenly became afraid that I was going to drop my pen. I knew if that happened I would not be able to pick it up.

It lasted only a few seconds --I actually never missed writing anything. And had I fallen over and hit the floor, all the ambulances and EMTs in town were right there in the same room with me, demonstrating the wireless mesh system.

After the announcement, I proceeded to City Hall to cover the city commissioners meeting.

What. A. Woman.

Tuesday when I got to work I didn't say anything because my boss's husband had a stroke Monday afternoon and everyone was talking about him. I couldn't really go and be a copy cat, right? So Tuesday I continued working and covered a lengthy evening meeting, after a long interview with the superintendent of schools Tuesday afternoon.

And, etc.

Yesterday I finally called and said I had to get in to the doctor today, and they got me in.

I have some residual right-side weakness and I'm scheduled for an MRI, echocardiogram and carotid artery dopplers before returning to the doctor's office on Dec. 2.

There will be huge changes coming -- first is they have ordered me to cut back to no more than 40 hours of work a week.
That will be a HUGE change from the 56 to 61 hours I work now.

The motto is: Work KILLS.

8 comments:

Jill of All Trades said...

Oh my goodness...definitely take it easy.

SBB said...

You will be in my prayers!

Kirsten said...

Wow. You are quite a woman, but I'd rather you take care of yourself and be around longer! Hope all goes smoothly with the tests.

mom23 said...

In.Sane.

You have to take it easy. Do you have some friends here in town that can help you? Can I help you? You cannot do this alone.

Trixie said...

Tracy, thanks so much. I do have friends here, although my biggest group of very close friends are still in Oklahoma City. I've got a fairly tight group of friends from church and a few from work and other places that would do anything to help. Your offer means so much to me!

drlobojo said...

Do not take this lightly, but do not let it consume you. Work does kill. Especially work that is un-natural. Yes, being a journalist is as far from our "natural state" as you can get.

I will direct Yoda's attention to your needs.

Trixie said...

Thank you, good Dr.

Erudite Redneck said...

Damn it. Take care of yerself.