Monday, April 11, 2005

Car's in the shop

Dear little 10-year-old Civic is at the car doctor today. With her age and mileage (127,000 miles) she's in need of a pick-me-up.

I have to say, she's been paid off for more than half of her life, so I don't begrudge her a day of pampering. She hasn't asked for much other than an oil change now and then. She got her CV boots and timing belt done on time, and I think the air conditioner low-pressure switch had to be replaced a couple of years ago. All in all, not much for a loyal friend.

Today's spa treatment is a little pricy for someone making peanuts. She will get new front and rear brakes and an oil pan gasket. Just like a lady, she was keeping her troubles to herself for the most part. Not a drop of oil soils my driveway, but apparently the problem was really obvious when they put her on the lift.

And very soon, I'll have to treat her to inside and outside tie rods. Hopefully as soon as I get my next check. That one is a matter of personal safety, though it's not a critical item today. They counseled me not to dawdle, however.

Yes, this bit of maintenance is an expensive hit for me at the moment, but I have to look at it in the macro view. These repairs are less than what one or two new car payments would be, and I'll be able to keep my old friend going for a good while longer. I'm pretty sure I'll get my money's worth at any rate.

Now, if only I could convince her to quit drinking. Gasoline prices are what will kill me! Ka-CHING!

No comments: